The Burne-Jones Windows.

On the 9th August 1866 Alfred Baldwin married Louisa MacDonald in the parish church in Wolverhampton. Louisa was one of four daughters's of George Browne MacDonald a Wesleyan Minister of Scottish decent. Louisa's older sister, Georgina, had married the pre-raphaelite painter Edward Burne-Jones 6 years earlier and it was his window designs which came to grace the Church built by Alfred at Wilden.

All Saints has 14 window spaces all of which are fitted with a Burne-Jones window. We believe the only other church in Gt.Britain to have a complete set of Burne-Jones windows is in Liverpool

With 14 panels it is believed that All Saints has the most Burne-Jones Windows at one location.

The windows all have "BJ" catalogue numbers to confirm their authenticity as Burne-Jones designs and were produced by the Morris Company. Visitors will realise from the dates that the windows were produced after the death of Burne-Jones and this is not at all unusual. The designs were still available and it is not unusual to find similar designs in other churches.

A brief description of the windows

East end

The altar window, 1902, was placed in recognition of Louisa and Alfred's happy married life, and was the couple's gift. The lower right panel is reported to show Stanley Baldwin setting out on his life's journey led by his guardian angel.

North wall from the Organ

St. Agnes.Dedicated to Agnes Poynter (nee MacDonald).
Timothy.1909.
Samuel.1909. Samuel and Timothy are in memory of William Gordon Felton.
Enoch.1907 is in memory of Enoch Baldwin.

South wall from the Altar

St. Cecelia.1909.
Minstrel Angel.1909.
Miriam.1902. Saint Cecilia, the Minstrel Angel and Miriam, were the gift of Roger Beck.
Foliage and Joshua.The foligae window is dedicated to Louisa and adjoining this is the window in memory of her husband Alfred, which pictures Joshua and his trumpeters. This is dated 1909 and was given by the directors of Baldwins Ltd. in memory of their chairman.
Fortitude
TriumphKing Ethelbert, 1903. Fortitude and Triumph are in memory of Arthur Baldwin.
(The Church Door is here)
The Good Shepherd.1914

West end

The Angels of Paradise- 2 windows - are in memory of Bishop Philpott, Dean Butler, John Haviland, Rector of Hartlebury. Henry Nash and Elisha Smith Both of Liverpool and John Saunders of Cookley.

Other Comments

The figures of St. Cecilia and the Good Shepherd are also in a church in Fochabers, Scotland but both are set against different foliage backgrounds.
The hand of God appearing from heaven in our 'Enoch' window is also replicated in an Oxford church in the 'Faith, Hope and Charity' theme.

Open Days

Open days at All Saints are held regularly on the first Saturday of the month and School Holiday Wednesdays.

You can also visit other interesting churches in the area by visiting the Wilden to Witley Church Trail.

Please visit our "Calendar" page for dates of other church activities.

-----------------------------------------------------------